October 11, 2012

Meeting the inner child and the outer parent



Photo-Richard Heeks
Pain comes up into bubbles...
Bubbles come up into air... 

I have recently realized how much of an "insight" meditation Vipassana meditation really is.
We, the waking spirits, who are no longer deep in slumber, yet not constantly present and in the fullness of now either, have to wonder with our minds- where are these invisible obstacles, what is it that is holding us back, why do we have to fall, can we not just always fly, why do we fall back to the old tracks of behavior, why do we lose patience and peace. It is lovely- to know the peace is longer, the fullness closer at hand, yet where are those hidden magnets- we want to soar at all times, we think we know how! Digging in the psyche it is always the childhood we get back to, the formative years, the upsets of the inner child.

Vipassana shows this in the level of the body, it is wondrous how perfectly the mind and body are aligned. We observe the subtle and oh-so-pleasant free-flow of energy on our body, but just as we get into it- POP! A bubble. The flow of awareness is stopped by a painful hard obstacle. Oh- the unpleasant pain of it to the sensitive mind pinpointed on a single tiny area of matter/energy! The thought of unpleasantness resulting in another instant POP, and soon we are rigid, solid, there is no way for the awareness now, it is again crippled, again stuck in solid matter where it has to cut through with force and move at a speed of a turtle. No more gliding through our own bodies alive and buzzing with its vibratory wave, now transforming into a bulldozer and ramming through as if we are our own obstacle. Perhaps we are.

We have to meet our inner child I feel. The one standing in the corner of our mind, hiding, waiting. The innocent one robbed of their innocence. The one born timeless taught time. The confident being who was shown they are not worthy. The one full of love unloved. The big reduced to tiny, the one who knew oneness and was shown one less. It is the nature of this world to create this abandoned creature. It is the role of the parents to show us the nature of the manifest world of duality.
The roots are dug deep, and we are usually scared to tackle them. It is difficult as well cause of all the coping mechanisms we have built. The deepest fears and pains of the ego- I am not worthy, I am not lovable- these had to have a solution even as a child and to tackle them now as a grown up- is hard. But inevitable. All roads lead to this point I feel. 

And it is a tricky point, it is a deep pit. How many times have I thought I have forgiven my parents. I was so full of the Universe then that everything dissolved, the inner child was at home. But the world and time keeps pushing up. More bubbles. Pop. Pop.

Do we take time to really face our parents? I have met some who have, it has usually been on their death bed, with a few first honest words spoken, and then onto another pain- grieving. 
Can we look eye to eye with them, soul to soul with them? Can we tell them how we felt as a child with no blame, can we take responsibility of our own response mechanisms if those have cost them pain in return? Can we talk to them past the roles that we play, past the huge bulk of hidden and unhidden baggage?

It is not about understanding. I understand perfectly well that my parents did what they knew best, acting from their own hurts and fears, walking on their own path, dealing with their own lessons. At the end of the day I do believe that both the parents and the children have chosen each other. Parents- to widen their own lessons of soul; children to learn a particular lesson of soul which heightens the journey, whether it is abandonment, abuse, absence, clinging, dependence... We chose and we received. There is no blame. The clarity of understanding makes it even more difficult to know exactly how to untangle the roots. How ironic to face meeting the first people we ever glimpsed, felt, touched- last.

There is only one way and it is honest and open communication. With both the inner child and the outer parent. 
The yin and the yang. 
Bubble after bubble, 
Bursting in the air.. 





6 comments:

  1. Dear Hille - you are really quite a big philosopher and you are always searching for something - and your footsteps carry you in all directions because you have a broad vision and nothing at the periphery of your vision escapes your notice - I am happy to be your friend and hope that the inner child in you is also my friend because with you, that is where my friendship will really matter!
    Love to you and yours always
    Deepak
    PS - How do I add you to friends list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deepak! Happy to be your friend also! As for the post script- on the right hand side are a few buttons under the tags, join the site/be a member.
      Much metta always!

      Delete
  2. Dear Dear Miss (Possible Robot) Hille
    I found the friend link and thanks - but remember to always look over your shoulder all your life when you walk down its long zigzag corridors, for it says that now I am following you and when ever you look back over your shoulder and don't see me following you, then pause till I catch up, because you belong to a higher dimension of spiritual thought, while I, may have tarried somewhere, by my intrinsic nonspiritual and flagrantly non conformist nature, drawn to a glittering bauble the way a "Parwana" is drawn to the "Shama", and then perchance, if I don't seem to be getting back on the track beaten by your big trudging feet to clear the way for me, methinks you would do well to retrace your path and look to the right and look to the left as you search for me, for that is the way a friend shall always be, and when you finally spot me, come within eye range, and with your spirituality and the powers of meditation, illuminate the 8 fold path brighter than the glow of the Shama, so that, since I am always irreverently drawn to all that glitters, despite that fact that it may not always be gold, I am sure that I will be lured back to follow you along the now twice beaten track, maybe with the rather impossible thought that perhaps one days I shall move ahead of you and look back and see your smile as you walk along the path to enlightenment and perfection, which to my mind has no end, but, if that ever happens, be careful to look beyond me while you follow, because it is quite sure that I shall suddenly go off at a tangent, and land up at a disco or a fun fair, and you end up with a bottle of rum between wedged between me and you and us dancing to the tune of the 'Last Waltz' since the bottle of Rum is likely to be dislodged if we dance the fast 4 step Jive!!!
    Oh Oh!!! Where on earth have I reached? This wee little comment was just to announce very cheerfully that I am on the right track and following in your footsteps!
    See you in a 1000 days Hille - remember you will have to stay with me for another day with a story from the Arabian Nights for me every day, till all the 1000 days you delay in coming here are accounted for!
    With love for everyone around you, you yourself, and all the pets you have
    Your (Possible Mustached Robot) friend
    Deepak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cheerful reply indeed, haha! Bright, many-coloured, fragrant- just as I remember India. Thanks Deepak! :)

      Delete
  3. Moon (Kathleen Jamie)

    Last night, when the moon
    slipped into my attic room
    as an oblong of light,
    I sensed she’d come to commiserate.

    It was August. She traveled
    with a small valise
    of darkness, and the first few stars
    returning to the northern sky,

    and my room, it seemed,
    had missed her. She pretended
    an interest in the bookcase
    while other objects

    stirred, as in a rock pool,
    with unexpected life:
    strings of beads in their green bowl gleamed,
    the paper-crowded desk;

    the books, too, appeared inclined
    to open and confess.
    Being sure the moon
    harbored some intention,

    I waited; watched for an age
    her cool gaze shift
    first toward a flower sketch
    pinned on the far wall

    then glide down to recline
    along the pinewood floor,
    before I’d had enough. “Moon”
    I said, “We’re both scarred now.

    Are they quite beyond you,
    the simple words of love? Say them.
    You are not my mother;
    with my mother, I waited unto death.”

    from ‘The Overhaul’ (2012) by Kathleen Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okei? :)
      Thanks for the poem, quite beautiful!

      Delete